BEINECKE RARE BOOK AND MANUSCRIPT LIBRARY
GENERAL COLLECTION OF RARE BOOKS AND
MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE MANUSCRIPTS
Beinecke MS 623
(Hospital for the Blind, Church of Santa Lorena, Burgos, Spain). The
foundation document of the hospital.
Spanish. Burgos, 1479.
1. f. 1r Later notes, including receipts for payments by the Convento
de la Trinidad.
2. ff. 2v-8r Documents relating to the foundation of a Hospital for the
Blind, by the Church of St. Lawrence of Burgos, 15 March 1479. In three
different sections (beginning ff. 2v, 4r, and 7v), mostly dealing with the
donation or sale of houses for the Hospital; including the sale of a house by
Pedro Alfonso de Burgos, public scribe of Burgos, to Juan Dona, maker of
strings for guitars.
Parchment. ff. 8, 250 x 175 mm. Single column, 30 lines. Single bounding
lines in ink.
Written by a singe scribe in a highly abbreviated Spanish gothic cursive
script with many later notes and additions.
A miniature on f. 2r depicts the hospital, Santa Lorena, and a blind man,
with the legent "hospital de losaegos". Illuminated initials with marginal
extensions ff. 2v and 7v. Illuminated arms on f. 8r within roundel with the
letters "c b".
Provenance: Numerous inscriptions on the binding. One very faint fifteenth
century hand offers the date mcccclxxx (1480). Notes in later hands read:
"Burgos, nos. 15, y 144", "Cassa al hospital de los Ciegos", "di lo convento
de la trinidad no. 43...", and "Paga to bes sl. hospital aelosaegos." Plus
the abovementioned arms on f. 8r. Purchased from Laurence Witten, 1981.