BEINECKE RARE BOOK AND MANUSCRIPT LIBRARY
GENERAL COLLECTION OF RARE BOOKS AND
MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE MANUSCRIPTS
Beinecke MS 341 Germany and Austria, s. XVI-XVIII
A collection of documents bearing the signatures of rulers of Germany and
Austria; each is preceded by one or more engravings of the person. Mounted so
that both sides of the document are visible.
1. f. 1 Letter of Ferdinand I (1503-64), emperor of Germany, in Lat.; signed
at Prague, 15 Feb. 1534.
2. f. 3 Letter of Ferdinand II (1578-1637), emperor of Germany, in Ger.;
signed at Graz, 1601.
3. f.6 Letter of Ferdinand III (1608-57), emperor of Germany, in Ger.; signed
at Vienna, 6 Aug. 1651.
4. f.8 Letter of Francois I (1708-65), duke of Lorraine, in Lat.; signed at
Vienna, 12 March 1759.
5. f. 10 Letter of Francois II (1768-1835), emperor of Germany and Austria,
in It.; signed at Vienna, 7 Jan. 1829.
6. f. 14 Letter of Rudolph II (1552-1612), emperor of Germany, in Ger.; dated
23 March 1607.
7. f. 16 Letter of Maria Theresa (1717-80), empress of Austria, in Lat; signed
at Vienna, 22 Oct. 1771.
Documents written at various times between 1534 and 1829. Collected, mounted and
bound in one volume during the late 19th or early 20th century (red goatskin,
gold-tooled, by Grabau); arrangement of the album is similar to MS 340,
but by a different binder. Gift of Susan Dwight Bliss in 1964.
Bibliography: De Ricci, v. 2, p. 1665, no. 16 (while in S. Bliss's
collection; only art. 1 listed).
Barbara A. Shailor