BEINECKE RARE BOOK AND MANUSCRIPT LIBRARY
GENERAL COLLECTION OF RARE BOOKS AND
Beinecke MS 187 Byzantium, s. XIII
Lectionary, etc. (in Greek)
A collection of liturgical readings mainly from the Old Testament,
but including some readings from the Gospels and Epistles, together
with prayers and hymns for the office. Text begins abruptly: //
[Greek]. The texts on f. 5r relate to the Sunday of the [Greek] (two
weeks before Lent), those on f. 189v to the Sunday of All Saints (eight
weeks after Easter).
K. Aland, Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des
Neuen Testaments (Berlin, 1963) p. 299, Gregory-Nr. 1686; K. W. Clark,
Descriptive Catalogue of Greek New Testament Manuscripts in
(Chicago, 1937) pp. 6-7.
Parchment (thick; many leaves palimpsest: Greek liturgical text of
the tenth century, in uncial script, still visible), ff. 193, 215 x 161
(178 x 122) mm. Written in 2 columns of 38-40 lines; single vertical
bounding lines (often full across), sometimes with an additional line
between the columns and along outer edge of outer column. Ruled in hard
point with a heavy hand; prickings visible at top, bottom, and sides of
I^^8 (-1, 2, 7), II^^4, III^^10 (2 unnumbered leaves sewn in between
12 and 13 after foliation was added in upper right corner), IV^^8 (-1),
V-VI^^8, VII^^8 (-6), VIII-X^^8, XI^^8 (-8, followed by a bifolium cut out,
+ 1 leaf sewn in), XII-XIII^^8 (+1), XIV^^8, XV^^8 (-1 and 8, f. 101),
XVI^^8, XVII^^4, XVIII^^8 (-1), XIX^^8 (-6), XX^^8, XXI^^8 (-8), XXII^^8,
XXIII^^6, XXIV^^8 (-5, 8), XXV^^8, XXVI^^8 (-8), XXVII^^6, XXVIII^^8 (-5, 6,
8), XXIX^^8 (-1, 2, 8). Gatherings signed (Greek notation) on first and
last leaves in lower margin.
Written in a clear but informal minuscule by a single scribe who
does not follow the guide-lines that were originally drawn for the
lower text of the palimpsest.
Numerous small red initials throughout.
The manuscript was apparently in a fire, since ff. 36-58 are
severely charred and the edges of all leaves have been blackened.
Binding: s. xvi. Resewn with heavy thread (fine cord?), three
sewn-in chains linking the quires. Two strands of sewing cord cross
over to the horizontal bars of a Z lacing, the diagonals of the lacing
visible through the pastedowns of the inside of the flush wooden
boards, the horizontal lacing protruding under the leather of the
cover. The edges of the boards are concave at head and tail. The
smooth, round spine is lined with a coarse, blue-green cloth extending
almost to the center of the boards on the outside. The endbands which
straddle the boards are laced through them. Covered in dark red, now
brown, calf faintly blind-tooled with diamonds with crosses in circles
at the intersections. A strap-and-pin fastening, the pin in the edge of
the upper board, two holes for the strap in the lower. Sewing slightly
repaired, some leather on the spine replaced. Front cover is lined with
a parchment leaf from a 15th-century Greek liturgical manuscript.
Written in Byzantium in the 13th century; early provenance
unknown. According to Library files Dr. John Henry House of Salonika
obtained the codex on Mt. Athos (see provenance of MS 150); his sale to
Prof. Thomas Day Seymour of Yale ca. 1899. Bequeathed to his daughter,
Elizabeth Day Seymour Angel in 1907, in whose memory it was presented
to Yale in 1952 by her husband, John Angel.
Bibliography: De Ricci, v. 2, p. 1652, no. 1; Faye and Bond, p. 38, no.
Barbara A. Shailor