BEINECKE RARE BOOK AND
GENERAL COLLECTION OF RARE BOOKS AND
MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE MANUSCRIPTS
Beinecke MS 1184
Italy (Lombardy) ; ca. 1430-1439.
157 f. : parchment ; 595 x 435 mm.
- Material is open for research.
- Manuscript, on parchment, of an illuminated and decorated gradual made for use in
the choir of the Olivetan monks of the monastery of Santa Maria di Baggio near Milan.
- The Olivetan gradual: its place in fifteenth-century Lombard manuscript illumination,
by Milvia Bollati. London: Sam Fogg, 2008.
- Gift of Susan Weil, 2014.
- Script: written in liturgical bookhand. Music in square musical notation on five four-line
- Decoration: five miniatures; eleven large ornamental initials on gold grounds; many
decorated initials with penwork.
- Miniatures have been attributed to the Olivetan Master and the Master of the Lodi
- Binding: full deerskin over wooden boards; extensive metalwork on binding.
- Gradual. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Master of the Lodi Choir Books, active 15th century.
- Olivetan Master, active 1429-1439.
- Catholic Church
- Graduals (Liturgical books)
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval.
- Manuscripts, Medieval -- Connecticut -- New Haven.
- Manuscripts, Medieval -- Italy -- 14th century.
- Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.